Saturday, April 19, 2014

A reflection before coming home - by Otis



Since I missed my day on the blog, Tric asked me to write a reflection on the trip.  I thought I’d talk about the people I’ve been with for these past two weeks.

Amanda’s the soul of the trip, the joker that kept us all in line. A real character, always fun to be around and always kept us on track.

Sanduni is a bundle of energy, the sunshine of the trip. A laugh that cheered up the whole bus.

Michael is sharp as a tack, and the cleanest and neatest roommate I’ve ever had. A great guy.

I thought Sam was a Flunch because of his green, stripy blazer, but he’s alright I guess. The funniest roommate, waking up to Kanye West as our alarm every morning was the Kanye Best.

Breanna, or Benedict Cumberbatch as she likes to be called. Amazing fun to joke around with, I wish we’d started talking earlier in the trip.

Travis, the most considerate roommate. When he was up early, he did his best not to wake me. When I tried to return the favour, I tripped over on my backpack and face planted into the ground. Great fun to be around, even if you thought my music was crap.

Charlotte was the youngest, but the best haggler and most fluent of all of us. Charming and sweet.

Claire was the trooper of the trip, unwell with a cold for the majority of it, but she was always on the bus smiling, taking pictures and asking Bruce amazing questions.

Bianca’s the most outgoing, animated one on the trip. Friends with everyone, and could talk to anyone. Always energized the bus when we were exhausted.

I probably spent the most amount of time with Steph, considering we were pretty much always next to each other on the plane. Super nice, open and charming.

Laura’s the quiet shy one, but once she opens up she’s hilarious and sweet. The tough West Footscray girl.

Lila’s bright, smart and funny. The friendliest person, was genuinely interested in everyone and everything. Absolutely lovely.

Carl is the most genuine, caring person I’ve met. Absolutely hilarious, I will never not laugh at the image of you and your fez. We’ll get Royales with Cheese next time we’re in a French Maccas.

Tric’s the heart of the trip, and we always knew where she was because we could hear her laugh a mile off.

Bruce is the smartest, kindest and most forgetful person on the trip. Our fearless leader throughout the battlefields, a man of incredible depth and interest, as long as he didn’t leave his bag behind. (I think at last count it was 4 times you forgot it, Bruce?)

Peter and David were the true larrikins of the group. They were not as grumpy as we had wrongly assumed at the start, and David has a hidden talent for British accents and jokes.

Bill let me bother him for 2 weeks with my constant pestering about his job, and didn’t get (noticeably) annoyed with me once. He has taught me about all the highs and lows of politics like, hey, leading a Victorian Government tour to Europe but a pretentious kid is going to question you for 14 days straight. Thanks Bill.








No comments:

Post a Comment